This Privacy Notice is effective as of November 1, 2020.
For the previous version of the Privacy Notice
PDF version of the Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice explains our practices with regard to the “Personal Information” we collect from educational professionals (such as teachers, instructors, school administrators, authors, editors, and contributors), students at post-secondary schools, adult learners, website visitors and others with whom we interact. For information about how we protect the privacy of children and K-12 students, please read our
Privacy Statement regarding K-12 Students and Children’s Data.
This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use and share your Personal Information and how you can exercise your privacy rights. We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice to be fully informed.
1. Collection of Your Personal Information
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify, locate or contact you. It also includes other information that may be associated with your Personal Information. The Personal Information that we may collect when you visit our websites or use our products generally falls into the following categories:
- Contact Information that allows us to communicate with you, such as your name, username, mailing address, telephone numbers, email address or other addresses that allow us to send you messages.
- Identifiers that allow us to recognize you or your devices, such as a school ID, the account number that we assign you, or your device and advertising identifiers.
- Relationship Information that helps us do business with you. For students, this may include your school affiliation, expected degree and graduation date, your courses of study, grades, learning style and how you engage with our products and content, and similar information that can help us tailor our content and offer you personalized instruction. For professionals, this may include your professional credentials and affiliations and the products and services that may interest you or your school. If you are an instructor, we may also collect information about the types of courses you teach, your teaching style and student engagement, and similar information that can help us tailor our content and improve your effectiveness in the classroom.
- Transaction Information about how you interact with Cengage Learning, including your purchase history, information about your use of our content (including time spent on material and results of in-product assessments), customer account information and information about how you use our websites and applications. If you purchase products from us online, we also collect payment card information as needed to process your payment.
In many cases, we collect Personal Information directly from you. We will ask you for Personal Information when you interact with us, such as when you register on our websites, signup to receive materials electronically or make a purchase. We may collect additional information about you from your school, such as information about the classes you are teaching, and from third party data suppliers who enhance our files and help us better understand our customers. We may also collect information from publicly-available social media sites, such as Twitter.
We also collect Personal Information when you contact us, such as for customer service purposes. Additionally, we may obtain content that is captured and recorded when taking a course, such as video or audio recordings for use in language courses.
We also obtain Contact Information and Relationship Information about prospective customers from other members of the Cengage group and from other third party lead providers. We will respect your preferences and as described in this Privacy Notice.
2. Uses of Your Personal Information
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Providing you with the products, content or services selected by you or your institution and for related activities, such as customer service, account management, support and training, reporting and to provide other services related to your school’s account,
- Ensuring the security and integrity of our websites, apps, products, services, systems, networks and facilities, including physical security, cybersecurity, fraud detection and prevention and intellectual property protection
- Providing you with marketing communications and offers for products and services from Cengage group companies and our partners, including personalized offers based on your usage of our products and to manage your communications preferences,
- Providing you with additional information that may be of interest, such as news and announcements, study tips for students or teacher guides for professionals,
- Administering surveys and other promotional events,
- Determining if you are eligible for certain products, services or offers, such as rebates or content guides offered to professionals and students for certain courses,
- Understanding how you use our products, content and services, including associating you with the different devices you may use to access our content, for analytics and product development purposes as well as to improve your user experience and to personalize offers that we make to you, and
- Managing our everyday business needs, such as payment processing and financial account management, contract management, website administration, business continuity and disaster recovery, security and fraud prevention, corporate governance, reporting and legal compliance.
3. Sharing Your Personal Information
Cengage does not sell any student information or other Personal Information that we collect from website visitors or the users of our products. We may disclose your Personal Information with the following categories of third parties as permitted by law:
- If you are affiliated with an educational institution, with your school and (if you are student) with your instructors. For example, we provide our institutional clients with reports about how their instructors and students use our products, including information that compares instructors and students within a school. If you are a student, your instructors will have access to the information generated by your use of the products for a class. We may also provide Personal Information to your school, as needed, to investigate possible academic fraud or cheating. Your school uses your Personal Information in accordance with its own privacy policies.
- With our affiliates, which may use your Personal Information for the purposes listed above.
- With our service providers, who are bound by law or contract to protect your Personal Information and only use your Personal Information in accordance with our instructions.
- With authorized partners that provide services to you through My Cengage, MindTap and similar platforms but only to the extent that you have authorized the sharing. For example, you may request that Cengage share information about the courses you’ve taken with partners to enable the partner to provide you with resume creation, skills assessment or other services. Additionally, we may share certain transactional information with our partners as needed to validate referrals and operate the platforms.
- With third parties based on your consent, such as if you enroll in a co-branded marketing program or if you explicitly accept our use of third-party advertising cookies.
- To law enforcement agencies and courts in the United States and other countries where we operate, when required to do so by law, such as in response to a subpoena or court order.
Please note that we may also use and disclose information about you that is not personally identifiable. For example, we may publish reports that contain aggregated and statistical data. These reports do not contain any information that would enable the recipient to contact, locate or identify you.
4. Gale Directory Products
Gale, a Cengage Company, publishes business directories. These directories contain publicly-available business contact information about corporate executives, academics and professionals obtained from third party sources, such as company websites, publications, public records providers and other commercial sources. These directories do not contain any information collected from users of our products or websites.
These directories are used by students, researchers and other professionals to identify relevant corporate contacts, experts and sources. We respect the rights of professionals to opt-out of having their business contact information included in these directories. If you would like to remove your information from our professional directories,
please complete this form
5. Cookies and Other Data Collection Technologies
When you visit our website or use our mobile applications, we collect information by automated means, using technologies such as cookies, pixel tags, browser analysis tools, server logs and web beacons. In many cases, the information we collect using cookies and other tools is only used in a non-identifiable way, without any reference to your Personal Information. For example, we use information we collect about all website users to optimize our websites and to understand website traffic patterns.
In some cases, we do associate the information collected using cookies and other technology with your Personal Information. This Privacy Notice governs how we use that information when we associate it with your Personal Information.
Please refer to our
Third Party Advertising Companies
We have relationships with third party advertising companies to place advertisements on this website and other websites, and to perform tracking and reporting functions for this website and other websites. These third-party advertising companies may place cookies on your computer when you visit our website or other websites so that they can display targeted advertisements to you.
These third-party advertising companies do not collect Personal Information in this process, and we do not give any Personal Information to them as part of this process. However, this Privacy Notice does not cover the collection methods or use of the information collected by these companies. For more information about third party advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) at
. To opt out of being targeted by many third party advertising companies by visiting
Social Media Interactions and Interest-based Ads
Our websites may enable you to interact with us and others via social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. If you use these platforms, we may collect Personal Information about you and your friends, as permitted by the platform’s privacy policies. For example, we may allow you to sign into Cengage websites and applications using Facebook Connect. If you choose to do this, we may collect information about you and your friends as needed to facilitate an interactive social experience.
We may display interest-based ads to you when you are using social media platforms. These platforms allow us to personalize the ads that we display to you. We do not share any of your Personal Information with these platforms, although we may convert your email address or other identifier into a unique number which can be matched by the platform with its user to allow delivery of the advertising.
Although we do not provide any Personal Information to these platforms, they may gain insights about individuals who respond to the ads we serve.
Browser Do Not Track Signals
Our websites currently do not have a mechanism to recognize the various web browser Do Not Track signals, but we do offer our customers choices to manage their cookie preferences as described above. To learn more about browser tracking signals and Do Not Track please visit
6. Mobile Applications
We offer mobile applications that allow you to access your account, interact with us online and receive other information via your smartphone. When you download our mobile applications, you may choose to allow us to obtain your precise location from your mobile device. We use this information to deliver personalized content to you for our internal analytics purposes. We may also offer automatic (or "push") notifications. We will provide push notifications only to those individuals who opt-in to receive such notifications from us. You do not have to provide location information to us or enable push notifications to use any of our mobile apps. If you have questions about location and notification privacy, please contact your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
7. Forums and Other Public Areas
Our products may provide forums and other public areas where instructors and students can communicate. Prior to posting in these areas, please read our Terms of Service carefully. All the information you post will be viewable to anyone with access to the area, and any Personal Information you include in your posting may be read, collected, and used by others. For example, if you post your mobile telephone number, you may receive unsolicited calls.
Please use caution when posting any Personal Information. Cengage is not responsible for the Personal Information or any other information you choose to submit in these forums. To request removal of your Personal Information from the forums,
8. Tell-A-Friend Functions
We may offer “tell-a-friend” functionality on our websites. If you choose to use this function, we will collect contact information for your friend. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email with the information you specified or inviting him or her to visit the site. We use this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and do not retain the information.
9. Your Choices and Rights
You have many choices about how we use your Personal Information.
- In most cases, you can choose what Personal Information to provide to us. You are not required by law to provide any Personal Information to Cengage. Our data collection forms indicate what Personal Information is required for the particular service.
- If you have an online account with Cengage, you can access and update your Personal Information at any time by logging into the platform. You can also update your communications preferences.
- If you would like to request that Cengage delete your Personal Information, please use our
automated deletion request form
- You can always opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us. Every commercial electronic message we send includes an opt-out link. You can also have your name removed from our email marketing lists any time by contacting our Customer Service department by email at:
or phone at +1 800.354.9706 (M -F, 8:00 am -6:00 pm ET).
- Please note that even if you opt-out of commercial emails, we may still need to contact you with important information about your account. For example, even if you opt-out of marketing emails, we may still send you activity or billing confirmations.
We also respect your rights as required by law. Depending on where you reside, you (or your agents) may have an explicit right:
Please understand that these rights are subject to some limitations, such as when we are processing or retaining data to comply with our own legal obligations.
10. Retention of Data
We will retain your Personal Information in accordance with our retention policies for as long as is reasonably needed to accomplish the purpose for which it was collected period that may be required or permitted by law, such as for business, legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. If you would like us to delete your Personal Information, please
. If we do not have a legal basis for retaining your information, we will delete it as required by applicable law.
11. International Transfers
Your Personal Information may be transferred to, stored at or processed in the United States and other countries which may not have equivalent privacy or data protection laws. However, regardless of where your Personal Information is transferred, we will protect it in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable laws.
We generally use approved Standard Contractual Clauses to assure that Personal Information is adequately protected when it is transferred to countries without an adequate level of data protection, but we may also make transfers to recipients using other approved data transfer mechanisms. To learn more about our cross-border transfers of Personal Information, please
12. Information Security
We use physical, technical, organizational and administrative safeguards to help protect your Personal Information against unauthorised or unlawful processing of Personal Information and against damage to, accidental loss or destruction of, your Personal Information. We also contractually require that our service providers protect our information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure.
13. Privacy Policies of Third Parties
You may revoke access to your data via the Google security settings page at
14. Job Applicants
If you have applied for employment with Cengage, the Personal Information submitted with your job application will be used only for recruitment and other customary human resources purposes. Please visit our
Applicant Privacy Notice for more information.
15. Changes to this Privacy Notice
From time to time, we may update this Privacy Notice to reflect new legal requirements or changes to the way we operate our business. We will place a notice online if we make significant changes to this the Privacy Notice. Additionally, if the changes will significantly affect the way we use or disclose previously-collected Personal Information, we will notify you about the change by sending a notice to the primary email address associated with your account.
16. How to Contact Us
Please contact the Cengage Privacy Office if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices, this Privacy Notice, or if you wish to exercise your rights. We will also investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes, as quickly as possible, and in any event, as required by law.
Mail: Cengage Learning, Inc.
200 PIER 4 Blvd., Suite 400
Boston MA 02210